Tuesday, 6 October 2009

Music Prelim and other stuff

I ment to post this yesterday but i saved it as a draft and forgot to publish it. Whoops. Oh well, i can talk about today as well then. I changed all the today's etc. to yesterday's tho

Yes, well, yesterday was my music prelim and i was performing on the bass guitar
I didn't sleep much on Sunday night, coz i was thinking about it alot but i needn't have worried too much.

I did what is probably average....which is annoying to me, really annoying.
We've been preparing for ages and i know the 3 separate pieces really well but i didn't get the mark i desired.
I was extremely nervous in the lead up to it tho, i was sitting in this practice room, having one last practice when the examiner comes randomnly bursting in and says "Might as well do it a few minutes early, no?"

"NO!"

but i said "ok"

By this time, the nervousness had actually disappeared and i was feeling good, but i would rather have had a full practice run first.
So we started and she sat next to me while i was performing, which went fairly smoothly. I just played each piece like i normally do and everything was fine, I only messed up once, on the last song, but we can't be perfect. However, afterwards was a different story.

When we had properly finished, she said "thanks" and then said that my rhythm was off in two of the songs, and she criticised me for my mistake on the last song, which was nothing too major. We didn't find our scores out until today, but i had a quick glance at her marking sheet and all three songs were marked down in the 7-8/10 bracket.

I went in aiming for at least 8 or 9 in each song, because i can play them well.
Don't get me wrong tho, 7 and 8 out of 10 is still an "A" pass but in my opinion her marking was harsh and other people commented on that as well.

But the thing about the rhythm really got to me, i had no idea what she was talking about, i am convinced i played my pieces to a pretty high standard.....
It's really annoying, i consider myself better than that, coz i have been playing for three years and have been practicing those pieces for at least two months!

Anyway, my marks were
Piece 1 - 7
Piece 2 - 8
Piece 3 - 7

which gives an average of 7.3 for each song
add up all the scores and you get 22 out of 30

My personal preditions were
Piece 1 - 9
Piece 2 - 8
Piece 3 - 9

average of 8.7 for each song
and 26 out of 30 overall

anyway, i told my mum the scores and she said that they were still good results (and they are!) but she said, the teachers don't give good marks in the prelim because they don't want pupils to become complacent before the final exam. This made me feel better. And it is true as well, the highest mark in my class was three 9's. Nobody got ten.
As is said, the prelim was nothing to worry about but i expected better.

But i've got to concentrate on the guitar prelim now, which is on Thurdsay 29th October.
I'm nowhere near as good on guitar as i am on bass, so i'm not too confident about this one now, especially after the bass results.

Elsewhere, on Monday
Media Studies is no longer fun, in the space of one period we went from having a laugh onto analysing newspapers, IN ALOT OF DEPTH!
BAH!
and we got told we have a test, the week before we go for work experience, which is turning out to be quite an eventful week already (2nd - 8th Nov) work experience is on 9th - 15th Nov

Alos, i failed a Spanish test....*facepalms*
I only have myself to blame tho, i did not study and i have to re-sit tomorrow. Thankfully tho, i couldn't be singled out because half the class failed as well, and those who passed, cheated. At least i'm honest.

P.E was a load of shit
I can't do physical activities at the moment because my ankle has been annoying me (i broke it three years ago) so i had to sit in the fitness suite which always has this awful music playing. I swear i don't think there was one song there than wasn't in this week's top 10. The only song i sort of enjoyed was I Gotta Feeling by Black Eyed Peas, dunno where that is in the charts but apart from that it was awful.

Biology was good hehe
I sit next to this really cute guy, who i am on quite friendly terms with so we talk quite often but about halfway through the period he dropped his pen.....i thought he was gonna ask me to get it for him but he went to get it himself and i swear to god his head was literally on my lap. I just sat there containing my excitment, pretending nothing was happening lol. So did he, he didn't say anything afterwards. There's no chance tho that he is gay or bi. The reason for this being that he is quite a ladies man, but at least i got something out of that boring Biology period haha.

Not much happened today tho,
Guidance teacher again failed to mention the blazer to me
A Maths test and a Media Studies test has been organised for that week before work experience. So now that's 3 tests that week!
I said i would tell about my first English timed essay, so i shall,
I got 16 out of 25, average again for 1st timed essay but i would have liked to have done better.
And of course, i got my music results back....

Hasn't been the best couple of days, but i will keep my head up and look forward to (more!) holidays!
Yes, more! Not in this Friday or the whole of next week due to "October holidays" lol
It's a piss-take how many holidays we get lol, but i'm not gonna complain.

Anyhoo, that might well be my longest post to date!

Thanks and welcome to the followers who have joined since my most recent post and thanks again to those who have been following for a bit longer. All your support and comments are well appreciated

Cheers,
Rowan


P.S. i've added a Blog Roll/List of my favourite blogs, just in case anyone's interested

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like your super busy. I hope your guitar prelim goes well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rowan firstly thanks for your kind answer to my previous comment - it's hard to know if your generation get much exposure to the Beatles so I was thrilled with your anwer.
    As for your results with your music tests I think your mum is right - not to many of the great artists are ever commpletely happy with thier work which is why they keep striving to immprove and we are the lucky ones to benifit so keep striving and who knows we might be writing about your great achievments down the track - here's hoping.Good luck with the guitar test, give Jimmy Henndrix sommething to get jelous about as he watches down on you.
    Haven't heard the Black Eyed Peas song and wonder if it is a version of the Beatles song of the same name.Of to youtube to check it out.
    Kindest regards Stef.

    ReplyDelete

Don't be afraid, drop a line or two :)