Gah!
Today was ok, but of course, as you may (or may not) have identified, maths wasn't.
Today's period of maths was the normal, do the starter, start a page in the textbook etc.
But halfway through, the head of maths comes in and asks to speak to the following people, me being one of them.
I had an idea what is was about so i reluctantly got out of my seat with the rest of the damned and went with him.
He told us what i was expecting. Remedial classes.
*sigh*
And to make things worse....on a Saturday morning from 9am until......noon.
My heart sank as he gave us the letter and told the six of us tht he was expecting us to be there for those two extra classes plus the Easter School that they will be running.
I didn't want to go home and give the letter to my mum, but i did.
She would have found out eventually, so why prolong it?
She just basically said that she expects me to go as well.
What bullcrap.
Gotta give up my morning of doing nothing to sit in a classroom doing maths for 3 hours....twice.
The only saving grace is that we don't have to wear uniform but that's no consolation in my book.
First class is next Saturday and the other is about a month after that, only coz easter school takes place between them both.
So that's another two classes.
So 4 classes altogether.
Each consisting of 3 hours.
12 hours of my time to do just maths....
If i don't get a result in the final exam, i'm gonna go nuts!
Moody part is over now, you'll be glad to know, but there isn't honestly much else to speak of.
RE was back to it's good old-fashioned ways of the teacher talking about things completely unrelated to the subject matter.
RE is pretty good coz of tht, Steven sits behind me as well so it can be quite good fun sometimes.
Oh, talking about Steven.
Today (even though my birthday is in June) i walked into school with my birthday present in my top pocket.
A cheque for 196 pounds to pay for my travelling, accomodation and going to see Muse at Wembley with Steven and his dad.
I never even told him i was going to bring it in so he was quite surprised but he took it anyway.
However, when i got home he called me and said it can't be used coz we didn't spell his dad's name right or something.
So my mum will have to write another cheque :P
Anyhoo, on the whole, it wasn't a super, fantastic day thanks to my arch enemy maths but never mind.
I don't fear my maths, it is my enemy, not my opponent
*shifty look*
Cheers guys,
Rowan
Good song and i thought the title was appropriate :P
juiceboys *2524
1 week ago

Extra maths lessons that sucks and if you can do the maths where you worked how many hours of maths you would have do you really need extra maths classes :S hope they go better than you think.
ReplyDeleteHope you have fun at muse in september :)
rawr
Raron
Ah Rowan, that's too bad to lose some of your own free time like that, but maybe it is for the best: perhaps in these classes it will finally "click" for you and it will become easy. Sometimes the schools know the best way to accomplish things.
ReplyDeleteNo need to hide it from your Mum, she wants the best for you too.
Cheer up, things will work out for the best.
The trip to see Muse sounds really great and that is a great birthday present.
I enjoyed the music link you provided.
Love,
-- Jamie
Sucks about the extra classes. But atleast it's only 4 times. Unlike me where I have a whole semester of Saturday morning classes. Hopefully it works out for you.
ReplyDeleteGetting to see Muse, lucky bastard. Seems like a pretty sweet birthday present to me.
Take care,
-Kevin
Oh well, kid; What's 12 hours really amount to in a life as young as yours?? You'll be better for it, and at least they don't do what they used to do over here- you'd 'stay back' and repeat the year with the class below... Now, THAT was a real bummer, and something that always terrorized me, even tho I was never in danger... Just the stigma was enough to send chills up my spine...The Saturday stuff isn't great, but you'd probably be sleeping through part of that time, anyways, if you didn't have these extra classes... lol So, you'll be fine... It'll go by quickly!! Hang in there!! luv, tman<3
ReplyDeleteHi there, Rowan
ReplyDeleteI've just come across your blog - the title of this post particularly caught my eye, as I used to love maths, and indeed still do. However, I appreciate that many (most?) other people don't get on with it in the way that I do.
Anyway, I wondered whether I might be able to help. Different people think about maths in different ways, and may be able to explain it in different ways. One of those ways might click for you, and suddenly make it all make sense. I can't promise anything, but if you want to give it a try, drop me a line (follow up here, or e-mail), perhaps picking a topic and outlining where the problems are for you.
Maths doesn't have to be your enemy; it might even become your friend :-)
On the subject of friends: a few posts back you mentioned Freddie. I think your impulse last week was exactly right, and I would encourage you to find him and talk to him. I've a feeling he could really do with a friend right now.
Take care
Mark
Know how you feel Rowan, my extra tuition came in the same form - Saturday classes for 6 months, but I finished up enjoying it, the tutor was good and in the end I almost doubled my mark and understood my lessons much better. It will pass quickley.
ReplyDeleteGood one about rhe Muse concert - something special to look forward to.
Regards Stef
of cores its a knock back rowan but you will get there. surprised there was`nt a weekly after school class instead of weekend . have you considered going to a big music event like for next year glastro ,v if you got enough people together to go . DRU
ReplyDeleteR0w4n,
ReplyDeleteI l-o-v-e the title.
Mark has already said everything I wanted to. I love Maths, but didn't used to. It was one teacher who found the way past my blockage. If you get stuck, email the problem to me and I'll see what I can do. A problem shared, etc. What else is blog-ville for?
Did you know that Music is all about Maths, except it's at a more subliminal level, like each octave is a square of the beats of the octave below. The Rolling Stones knew this, they had an album called Aftermath. *grimace*
Anyway, it shows you have the ability, deep down: you just need to set it to music, he-he.
btw, congrats on the Bass exam. You gave your teacher one of those magic moments that they dream of and treasure, please don't disillusion him!
About the extra Maths, ok, it has to be done, you can't get out of it. So... why not grab the bull by the horns, make the most of that time and demand the most from that tutor. Demand answers, keep asking questions until you understand.
You've got nothing to lose: you're all there because you need extra learning, so if others get pissed off, tell them where to go, tell then you don't want to be back. That needs attitude, to be stroppy, but I think you've got that.
One major problem with Maths teachers is that it is so easy for them to say, "Read chapter n and do the test at the end". That's not teaching, so make sure your teacher earns their (meagre) pay.
Is it the same teacher as you have at school or another? I hope they are different, it will give you another view of Maths, demand that it be a better view.
Brilliant b'day present, shame about the cheque, but if his name is only wrong by a letter, it should be ok.
Waiting for the first problem...
r.jimlad
Extra class that sucks. Nothing you can do about it though. They make your parents sign so you can't get away with it. 12 hours isn't very long. But would be nice to do during the week not on weekends. Hugs JJ
ReplyDelete