Thursday, 17 March 2011

A Lil' Update

So the past couple of week have been fairly busy to say the least. They've had their pros and they've had their cons.

The best thing to come out of the past few weeks is probably the fact that i got an A in all my prelims i sat last month which i find quite overwhelming. I didn't expect that at all.

One of the most surprising things was the subject i thought i'd do worst in, English, is the subject i did best it in. I got 82% overall.
Elsewhere, i got 76% and 77% in Spanish and French respectively.
75% in Media Studies.
Another thing that surprised, and disappointed, me to a certain extent was my music mark - 70%. Just scraping an A :/

It's coz i rely to much on the practical element of the subject, in which i try (and often succeed) to be a perfectionist. It was my below par listening result of 22/40 that brought my mark down.
However, i cant just rely on my playing skills to get me an A as was shown today. My guitar exam.
I only had 2 pieces to play, as opposed to 5 on bass 2 weeks ago which went superbly.

I know im a lot weaker on guitar, having not played it as long as bass but my performance today was average in my opinion. I don't know if it was nerves or what but my first piece i messed up some chords and my rhythm was way out at points, something i knew the examiner picked up on as well - I seen her scribbling away a few times when i thought i messed up.

The 2 pieces only lasted five minutes overall. 1 was a full play through (my average play) but the piece that was sampled is the one i'd have preferred to play in full. Im much better at it and the solo is great but i wasnt given the opportunity to showcase that.
Overall, i'd give piece one 6/10.
Piece 2 - 9/10 but unfortunately i only played about half of it.

Anyway, as i said, i strive to be a perfectionist in my playing so perhaps i was disappointed but maybe it was ok from another point of view. My teacher said i played well...

Enough ranting about music. My marks elsewhere were brilliant so i shouldnt worry too much, just gotta hope i can put in a similar performance for the final exam.


Apart from all the stress of the past few weeks which i actually consider to be tougher than the exam period itself, it's been fairly subdued.

Our options have been put in front of us for next year and ive been a bit worried about what to pick next year. I'd already settled on *one* language. Only one because i have been doing two simultaneously for the past 4 years and its just not funny anymore. Next year im doing one and that is final - it's looking like it'll be Italian at a similar level to my Spanish and French this year.
I think that would look good on any CV - 3 languages all at the same level. Variation.
Would also like to do Advanced Music simply coz i love music xD

Now the last two im really not sure on. There's a course in Video Editing but im not 100% on it yet and im also considering going back to Modern Studies and taking it a Higher level.
I've got until the 25th to make up my mind so i can discuss it with my guidance teacher more if needs be.
But definetely Advanced Music and Italian at a higher level. Also, Bryan's picked them xD
Don't have a go at me! Im not picking them coz he is. He actually surprised me with the Italian which i had already settled my mind on and i was always going to be picking Music anyways!
I put it down to luck :P


I'm sorry this post was dominated by school news, it's just really all thats been going on recently. If you're sick of it, just think about poor old me!
However... there is something un-school related.
Got home today to find that Wolfmother are coming back to the UK!
Tickets don't go on sale till tomorrow but i worked my way through and got tickets on pre-sale ;)
The only problem is that they're playing a bit further afield than they did last time i seen them and i don't know if Alex will go with me like he did last year.
We'll cross that bridge when we come to it i guess but it makes up for me losing out on Queens of the Stone Age tickets: the Wolfmother gig is a few days after it!


Rowan <3




Posting this simply coz i've been quite obsessed with it recently. Don't worry i'm not tripping acid or smoking pot :)


YET!!!! MWAHAHAHAJFOGSHGJSDGSLDHFKLSDHGJKL walrus

6 comments:

  1. What a great set of grades, Rowan! That's truly awesome, even if you weren't 100% pleased with the music grade. You're pretty talented, though. Your schedule sounds excellent, I'd personally take the Video Editing course, but that's just me! I took TV Production in 1976, so that's how long I've been around. Man, is it different now! And I sure can't imagine three languages. What a brain you must possess.

    It's interesting to read about you and school, so don't apologize, and I won't pick on you about Brian.

    And finally, you have noooo idea how much pot I smoked listening to the Beatles, I Am The Walrus is a prime example of "let's get stoned" music!

    Well cool post, Rowan, thanks!
    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice going on the prelims, and good choices for next year. By the title Modern Studies sounds worthwhile (especially if you've got some pre-modern studies to give some contrast).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Rowan
    Congratulations on the exam results - if my (far-off, ancient!) experiences are anything to go by, the actual exams are usually easier than the 'mocks', they tend (or tended, when I was doing them) to be made harder so that no-one became complacent.

    Love & best wishes
    Sammy B

    ReplyDelete
  4. Since Pete took up the guitar and I got an electric drum kit to try to accompany him we've certainly had our 'good days' and 'bad' in terms of performance! If you put yourself in the place of the teacher or assessor/examiner then you may feel that your ability and the quality of your performance was evident - even if, on the day, there were cock-ups.

    A friend of mine who has a life-time of choral music experience says you can tell as much about a person's ability by watching someone's face while s/he's playing as you can by listening to the noise they make!

    Er, since you've not told us what alternatives there might be to video editing - you see even though a part of music is about performance, it might be good if you had another subject which had a bit of practical action about it. Maybe you don't want to spend the next couple of years with your head largely in books . . . ?

    Oh and well done on the grades! Nice one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rowan,

    Congratulations on your exam grades!

    I used to get nervous on playing exams and auditions, too (now I'm too old to give a damn. lol!)

    Advanced music sounds cool! Is that like theory & harmony, part writing, etc?

    Maybe you could post up some of your own playing sometime?

    :-)

    -Andy

    ReplyDelete
  6. "And I don't want the world to see me, I just don't think that they'd understand.
    When everything's made to be broken, I just want you to know who I am..."

    Love, always...
    -David

    ReplyDelete

Don't be afraid, drop a line or two :)