Hope you've all been wearing purple today!
I have even though i only own one purple item, a t-shirt, which most of the time was covered by a jumper because of the cold.
But i still did wear purple!
To make up for my "weak" effort I purchased a "NoH8" badge earlier and as my guidance teacher at school is urging me to wear the school blazer, i shall comply and put the badge on there when I get it xD
Everyone puts badges on their blazer, so i'll put that on mine and a few Muse badges or something like that.
Anyway, one thing that annoys me is an apparent dislike or non-approval of wearing purple on Spirit Day, even within the gay community. I think more people support it than not but there's just things i read online; people saying it changes nothing, its just jumping on the bandwagon etc.
What crap.
It's to show a togetherness and to support the victims of gay teen suicide and those who are bullied!
Maybe it's just a personal thing that some people feel more strongly about than others but there's no need to criticise people who are trying to help and raise awareness of what is a very big issue.
Another one is that "people are just doing it to make themselves feel useful".
I don't know why people are so cynical all the time. It's about showing support and if showing support for what is a worthy cause is wrong then shoot me down.
I didn't mean to turn this into a rant :P
I just feel strongly about bullying - we've all seen the effect it can have - and I will do what i can to fight against it and i hope you will, too :)
Rowan <3
Appropriate song is appropriate ^^
juiceboys *2524
1 week ago

There was some kids wearing purple today but the bullies and the haters knew what it meant and the ones that was wearing purple got a lot insults today.
ReplyDeleteI didn't wear it myself. I am small and I can't defend myself that well. I did see a lot kids get picked on today for it. You remember back a couple comments when I said even the teachers made fun of gay kids. That happened again today too. I seen one coach tell a kid to get stronger and stop being a girl. I wish I had a cell phone. I would have recorded that.
I do want to help but I am to scared to help. Does that make me bad? Because it makes me feel bad that I don't help. I wish I was 6 feet tall and 200 pounds, then I would kick their asses for what they do sometimes.
I am sorry I am a wimp. Just A Friend
Hello Rowan
ReplyDeleteWell said - this is a important issue, and solidarity, in itself, is a good enough reason for people to show their colours (no pun intended!).
Love & best wishes
Sammy B
Glad to see so many people supported this effort!
ReplyDeleteGood music, too!
Peace <3
Jay
Actually, I have never heard anything of Spirit Day until now, but funnaily I happened to wear almost only purple on Thursday (purple skinny jeans, a purple t shirt and a red jacket). :)
ReplyDeleteI don't own anything purple, and even if I did, I couldn't wear it at work too easily. While I support Spirit Day, it's just not practical to wear certain colors or items sometimes where you have a dress code. I couldn't get away with wearing a NOH8 pin even. But I do have one. Anyway, I'm glad you participated in your own way Rowan. Cheers, mate.
ReplyDeleteLove, always!
-David
Yeah and this reluctance to get involved - and to carp at those of us who do - is why it's so important for those of us who can and want to do everything we're able to.
ReplyDeleteDid you see that news about TESCO sponsoring 2012 London Pride (which will be a 2-day thing coz they're hosing World Pride as well?
I believe that it's getting the representatives from all parts of society to help us support our LGBT community that's going to help people feel that being gay and supporting human rights is not a minority sport.
In Scotland there's a public consultation going on about Gay Marriage and most of the churches there are lining up to say WE WILL and they're effectively showing up the Church of Scotland and the Catholics as being the two biggest who are being reactionary and bigoted.
The involvement of more and more organisations & companies in LGBT issues is making more and more ordinary people think about us!