Thursday, 15 April 2010

The Hillsborough Disaster....Silence

I have a feeling many of you wont know of this tragedy that took place on 15th April 1989. Particulalry those outside of Britain.

The tragedy was the death of 96 Liverpool FC fans who died due to a crushing incident at a football match in Sheffield, England.

Most of this is down to the mis-management of the police present on the day.

I know i wasn't born at the time but the whole thing really grabs me.
How it happened, the aftermath, the support of the family, friends and the football club, it always gets me going.

Every year on 15th April a memorial service is held at Anfield, the ground of Liverpool FC, to remember those unfortunate people.
Today's service will be shown tonight at 7pm on LFC TV in Britain in case anybody is interested.
I will be watching it as i couldn't attend although i have made the promise to myself that i will go one day.
(I don't live near the ground btw)

The service is always held at 3pm because that's the time the game started 21 years ago today.
At 3.06pm a minute of silence is held as that is the time the game was abandoned at.
And then You'll Never Walk Alone is sung by the attending fans of which there usually is a good number.

So today at 3.06pm i held my own silence in my room, for a minute and i'm not ashamed to admit i cried a little afterwards, listening to You'll Never Walk Alone.
I find it strange how something that took place before i was even born can arouse such deep feelings in me but it just does.

This post, i planned to talk more about the incident itself and how (badly) the situation was handled by the police but i'm not really feeling upto it.
Most of what i have to say is covered on the Wikipedia page anyway so if you are interested or want to find out more then here's the page for you -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hillsborough_Disaster


And speaking of silence, now is a good time to remind you all of tomorrow.
16th April. Day of Silence for homophobic bullying.
I have come to the realisation that i will end up having to talk at some point tomorrow probably but i will try my best to stay as quiet as possible.
Again, i encourage whoever is reading this to try and do the same if you can. I know it can be difficult, i had trouble staying silent for 1 minute today :P


Love you guys,
Rowan


I know i posted You'll Never Walk Alone not long ago but i need to do so again today. I can't not post it.....




Remembering the 96. You'll Never Walk Alone.

7 comments:

  1. Remember it well rowan was 12 and was watching it with my dad and cousins was horrible to watch it on tv as well as watching it with my dad and my cousins. horrible horrible time dru

    ReplyDelete
  2. also as well as the 96 lives lost and hundreds injured and scared for life. also every football club lost due to a all seater stadium law being brought in the famous Liverpool cop was the first to go

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was a very touching post.
    I hear about the events that happen in Liverpool on this day all the time and I'm completely with you when you say that it upsets you so much as it does myself. I don't find it strange at all that it makes you feel this way. It shows that you care very much, even about things which you weren't around to witness, and that is a great personality trait to have.
    Thank you for reminding me about tomorrow, I think that it's an amazing idea and very unique. I'm going to find it tricky to keep quiet as I'm going to see people but when I'm on my own I won't do any of the 'spur of the moment singing' which I normally do =) And I won't talk to myself either which will hopefully count for something ^^ So it will be a day of silence in the respect that I won't talk to myself, which sounds odd, but it's something!
    Lauren x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes Rowan it is very sad - the coverage reached us down here, but it has been a long time since I've heard it mentioned. I admire that you feel so strong about it and that you wish to show your respect.
    It's Friday morning here already and I have already started my silence already - no call for work yet so I might make it - at least for most of the day.
    Regards Stef

    ReplyDelete
  5. My primary reason for hating crowds; trampling. Followed by the heat, and being squished against half a dozen people, followed by the heat. did i mention being trampled?
    Its sad that something like watching a soccer game can become something like this.

    I dont think the 16th is an official day where i live. However, my school had a "pink day" on the 14th to raise awareness against discrimination and homophobia. Pink...?
    I have no chance of staying silent the entire day. Especially when i have a huge 6-page project to present!

    to the concerned,
    -AS

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have seen some games from there on TV and it seems the people goes nuts when it is over. Why do they do that? Don't they know people going to get hurt? Hugs JJ

    ReplyDelete
  7. I swear this gets spoken alot about in school but i dunno. i sort of blank it when they start to talk about it its too depressing. i sort of blanked it out the first time i heard about it got to them saying 96 people died and i stopped listening all toughter after that. I didnt even know that it was on that day :S well i guess i will have to mark that in my calender for next year
    rawr
    Raron

    ReplyDelete

Don't be afraid, drop a line or two :)