Monday, 17 May 2010

IDAHO

International Day Against Homophobia and Transphobia.

(There's no "T" in IDAHO....)

:P

Anyhoo, yeh, i was looking through an app on my ipod called iFacts which just lists important events/births/deaths on each day and i found out today is not one, but two events significant in in the LGBT community.

Firstly, (and i've never heard of it until today) it is the International Day Against Homophobia and Transphobia. Which, i have a feeling is tied in with two important events that have taken place over the past eighteen years it will be now.
That is, in 1992 the World Health Organisation removed homosexuality from its list of mental illnesses. 18 years on from that, i struggle to see how it was even there in the first place.
I do happen to know that Britain and the USA removed it off their own lists back in the 60's i think but don't quote me.

Also, in 2004, Massachusetts becomes the first US states to legalise same sex marriage (Go Massachusetts!)
Just doing a bit of research to see how many states it is legal in now....

Jeez i thought there would be more than that - there are only 6 states it is legal in (Massachusetts, Connecticut, Iowa, Vermont, New Hampshire, and only last month on March 1st was it made legal in Washington DC)
This map explains it better -



All shades of read is where it isn't permitted because of constitution or something like that.
Blue is permitted.
Grey is no prohibition or recognisition
And i'm not sure what multi-coloured ones are.
Maybe it means there's debate or something coz i know California used to allow same-sex marriage but then Arnie stepped in or something, not too sure.

But yes, i think IDAHO takes place on 17th May for those two reasons, probably for the WHO's removal of homosexuality from their list more than Massachusetts legalising same-sex marriage.

Being called IDAHO, i would have thought it might be legal in the state of the same name, unfortunately not it appears as according to the map.
I'm sure gradually, in time, more states will legalise it although it could be a long process and even though i don't live in the States i still find it quite an interesting topic. Only days such as this can help that process so here's to IDAHO!

Have a good day everyone.

Hugs,
Rowan




lol, there's no video in english but you still get the song :D


P.S I've came across a new blogger in the past day or so, or rather, he came across me and i then found his blog.
His name is Gabriel/Gabe/Gabey.... :D
He is 15 and lives in the States, so why not go check out his blog, i'm sure he'd love it.
Gabe's Journal - http://gabeys.blogspot.com/

5 comments:

  1. Rowan I'll skip a comment on polatics - not one of my strong points.
    But I will say this was "My Generation" - I was a teen when this song came out and I remember I went shopping and I made two very important purchases - the first was a 45 version of "My Generation" and a pair of Zebra stripe jocks - went home, played the record [really loud] as I danced around in my new under wear.
    Great choice - but I will say there is a better recorded version of this song out there. Another really great Who song well worth a listen is "I'm a Boy" the drums in it are fantastic.
    Regards Stef

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rowan,

    I've seen this map before. The details can be found at Wikipedia, and it describes what the different shades of red are. In the areas with red/blue hybrids, it means both conditions apply. There's different shades of blue, the darkest meaning same-sex marriage is permitted/legal, but the slightly lighter shade meaning that same-sex unions are permitted, but not marriage itself. California (my home state) is a prime example. Here, we permit same-sex unions (where a same-sex couple can receive almost all the benefits of being married, with out actually being married. This is of course limited to the benefits provided by the state government, such as tax breaks (the ability to file jointly), insurance claims (you can list your same-sex partner on insurance, where as in some states it's limited to spouse and children only), etc... Though same-sex marriage was legal here for a short bit, it is not any more. So that's what the stripes mean.

    *hugs*

    Love, always!
    -Rhyn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its crazy to me that its not legal all over. I mean its the freakin USA arnt we supposed to be free to do things like this??? I know like god forbids it or what not, but isnt there seperation of church and state.

    My jaw dropped when u said that homosexuality was on a mental illness list. OMG like really? WTF is that nonsense?

    BTW Family Guy is bawls!!!

    And three rounds for IDAHO :)))))

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hate to say this but the abreviation would be ADAHT not IDAHO. Yes i am from Idaho and it is not the same thing. I wish it was but it isn't. Here if they see you they want to kill you so why would they want the abbreviation IDAHO? I wouldn't. Sorry but I thought it was funny calling it IDAHO, and not its real name. JJ

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Rowan,

    I am in favor of gay marriage and am surprised that more political conservatives like myself who aren't "religious conservatives" are not (at least publicly) in favor of it. After all it is in the best interests of the nation on every possible level. And as you can imagine, I've thought about it from every angle it has been criticised from, tho I won't get into that here.

    The problem with this piecemeal state by state approach, and the methods used and groups pushing it, is that (#1) it sets up a national legal crisis that will have 2b resolved in the Supreme Court. There is a Constitutional provision that states that a contract that is valid in 1 state is valid in all states. The proponents of this, actually think they can force "their way" onto the more liberal states, and from there onto the more conservative states. Unfortunately for them it doesn't work quite that simplistically. The Supreme Court WILL strike this divisive strategy down, and then the legal concept of "stare decisis" (let the decision stand) will keep it at bay for a generation or more. The fact is the court is tilted slightly to the Right, and will get more so--rapidly, when Obama is decisively removed in 2013.

    The 2nd huge mistake inherent in this idiotic strategy, is that in "liberal" state by "liberal" state where gay marriage is being implemented behind the peoples backs by left of center politicians, the people are awakening and removing it again by direct vote, in "statewide referendums". The obvious message is that the people of even the most liberal states don't want gay marriage YET. They want to think about it awhile--and not have it forced on them sneakily in the dead of night by liberal activists and their legislator lapdogs.

    For the people in more conservative states it is near complete anathema, and will remain so as long as only the Left champions it. Such is the righteous indignation of this nations center-right core (and majority), at the willful damage the Left has done our once great nation over the decades, that, I think, if the Left proposed "breathing"--half of us, for a minute or 2, would consider giving it up! You can imagine the automatic reaction to an alien concept such as gay marriage.

    There are a few brave (less religious or non-religious) conservatives, such as former VP Dick Cheney, one of whose daughters is a conservative(!!) lesbian, who are testing the waters on this. The less the Left poisons the water by pushing gay marriage in defiance of even most liberal Americans, the more it will be safe for gay friendly conservatives to come out and talk about it and related things. We actually have the cultural credibility with the average American, to, as they say, "move the needle" on this subject, in the direction of gay marriage. But I don't expect the Left to stop, they have No common sense about ANYTHING, which is the reason why they are liberal or Leftists in the 1st place. So they WILL continue to stir the s--t until the US is solidly united against them on this. And gay marriage will wait yet another generation 2 exist. Which is a damn shame! Since gay marriage would, and when implemented with the nations assent on a NATIONAL level, WILL do this nation as a whole and gays as individuals and as a group, a WORLD of good!

    But trying to sneak something in, behind the peoples backs and over their active objections, is ALWAYS a bad idea--especially in a Republic. They will knock you down almost every time. The way 2do this is by winning hearts and minds. Many millions of gays do this EVERY day! Just by being "out", and being decent friendly people. This is how it is done, and if the Left doesn't undermine that TOO much with their hateful and divisive ways, it WILL be successful. I hope so. G

    ReplyDelete

Don't be afraid, drop a line or two :)