Monday, 23 August 2010

Let's See... Umm... School, QI, Spotify, Birthdays, Celebrities and Cheese Sandwiches

I've been back at school for a week now and nothing of any particular change has taken place. Things just pretty much picking up where they left off i suppose.

No miraculous change in Steven, although it seems as if such a thing will never be on the cards.

The workload is already pretty heavy, they're throwing it at us and saying "COMPLETE IT!!!" while they do so.

Think i should have thought more carefully before picking two languages to study at the same time at this level. Ho hum.

I was busy seeing teachers all last week to try and get some percentage scores back from my exams. I haven't got all yet, but here is what i have so far :

Music - 91% (and I got 30/30 in my performance for both guitar and bass, which i was not expecting *at all* ^^)

French - 96%

Modies - 94% (Beat my friend Louis who i had been contesting with all year, scraping for the best results, he got 92%)

Biology - 70% (which is literally just an A, but it's still an A)


And thats all for now in terms of results, and school for that matter.


Recently, i've been quite obsessed with two things - QI and Spotify.

For those who don't know, QI is a British panel show hosted by the legendary Stephen Fry. It's funny, topical and factual at the same time. I've talked about it on here before but yeh, i've been quite obsessed with it as of late. It saddens me that there are only the first 3 series released on DVD so i have a request of you. my followers.

http://www.petitiononline.com/qidvd/petition.html

It is a petition to get QI series D and onwards released on DVD. It takes literally 1 minute and think of it as a birthday present to Stephen Fry himself, who turns 53 tomorrow :)


And so, Spotify.

I've had it a while now. For those who don't know (i sound like a teacher) it's a free music service which allows you to listen to loads of music. My use of it has increased rapidly over the past few weeks coz i realised that there are loads of albums and artists that i haven't, and really should have listened to by now (call myself a musician!? :P)

But yeh, i confess to never hearing a U2 or Lou Reed album from start to finish until yesterday. I've also not listened to a full album from Pink Floyd (not available on Spotify), The Who, Rush, Thin Lizzy, Smashing Pumpkins, Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin (also not available), Guns N Roses, Jethro Tull, Radiohead and the list goes on but i am on my way to rectifying this immediately. As i type, i am listening to Coldplay's "A Rush of the Blood to the Head".

Forgive me, i've never heard it before!

Unfortunately, The Beatles are also not on Spotify so I still have to wait until i listen to one of their albums from start to finish for the first time - Calm down, I am buying Sgt. Pepper's later tonight on Amazon!

So as you can see, music is occupying a lot of my time at the moment. Spotify uses internet access but aside from that and a few social networking sites, my internet usage has been very minimal recently (a joint decision by myself and my mum) But i'm thinking it's a shame there isn't a Spotify version for movies, there are some really shocking films i haven't seen, that i have no excuse to have not watched... E.T *hides*


Anyhoo, this week is a mini-big week - A certain family member's birthday (who i shall not reveal) is today. Stephen Fry's is tomorrow :P

I said i'd finished talking about school but i forgot to mention a few things.

On Thursday, i am interviewing a fairly well-known British celebrity/singer/songwriter/presenter/talent show winner... in Media Studies. Tbh, i say she is well-known, but only probably in Britain. Anyway, she is coming to the school and each person in the class gets to ask her questions, should be fun.

I'd like to say who it is but i'm not gonna so please don't ask questions about it :)

And in English, the class has been writing reflective/imaginative essays. Well, im the only one of 30 people doing one purely imaginative and it's pretty dark O_O
It's to be handed in on Thursday, so if it goes down well i might post it on here but i'm making no promises.


In other news, it's 19 days until Muse at Wembley, 25 days until my one year blog-aversary and i'm currently eating a cheese sandwich.


Rowan <3

11 comments:

  1. Interesting update, thanks. Great exam results, congratulations. Glad to have you back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. am 1093 QI thing. this time last year school was hell for me so by December Id left.spotify will have a look at it.home made sausage and leek pie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Rowan
    Two languages at your level of study is a big deal workload wise - if I'd chosen my A-levels purely on the basis of my O-level results (no GCSE in those far-off days!), I'd have been doing three languages. I'm so glad I didn't - on the basis of the one guy in my year who actually did three languages, I'd probably still be catching up on the work now!
    I've never heard of Spotify, but it sounds well worth investigating. I have, on the contrary, heard of 'QI', and it's the sort of programme I ought to find unmissable, but, for some reason, I've never been able to get into it. My wife is a big fan, and I'm a big fan of Stephen Fry, but I still can't get into it. Having said that, it took me for ever and a day to get into The Lord of the Rings, but I managed it eventually. Given the frequency of 'QI' repeats on satellite TV, I'll probably succumb at some point. Hope the cheese sandwich went down well!

    Love & best wishes
    Sammy B

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome back, glad you survived your first week of school!

    *hugs* You've been missed around these parts, sir!

    Love, always!
    -David

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, hello!

    A few recommendations:

    Black Sabbath Vol 4, Paranoid, and Sabotage
    Lou Reed Transformer, Berlin, and The Blue Mask
    Thin Lizzy Live and Dangerous, Night Life, Jailbreak, and Shades of a Blue Orphanage

    Also, if you're checking out Lou, you need to hear The Velvet Underground! Their four studio albums are all rather different, and all fantastic. It's best to start with the debut, The Velvet Underground & Nico. There are also a few posthumously released collections of unreleased material and live recordings. It's just about all essential, imo.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cheers Lightning, i made a bit of a boo-boo up there.
    I have listened to two Lou Reed albums *now* Transformer and a live one which i forgot the name of, as well as Paranoid by Black Sabbath

    I have Live and Dangerous on my itunes but i was referring to studio albums i havent listened to. Live and Dangerous is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Rowan.

    Sounds like things are going to be rather challenging for you this school year. But I like I said in the last post, I'm sure you'll do fine. Nice exam results too.

    Never heard of QI, or Spotify. I'll check out the petition when I have the time, and I'm intrigued by the music site.

    I won't bother yelling at you for all the music, and apparently movies, that you haven't heard/seen. There is too much out there for everyone to hear it all. But you do need to hear a whole Floyd album, and a Beatles album too. But I will suggest something for you. TOOL. Any album really, but I guess I'd start with Lateralus. Give it a listen, I think you will like it.

    Good luck with your interview on Thursday.

    Have a good week!

    143

    _Kevin

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rowan so pleased about your school results especialy Biology - top stuff.
    Music is something even an older fella like me keeps making new discoveries - believe it or not G-Star and you have both introduced me to quite a bit of new and interesting stuff - in your case you have opened my eyes to a new appreciation of Muse and it is easy to see why you are such a big fan. Enjoyed hearing that you purchased Sgt Peppers - I can remember clearly when it was first released - it was a landmark album that changed the face of music at that time - hope you really enjoy it.Pink Floyd - what can I say that hasn't been said already.
    As for Steven I'd still like to think with the influence of open minded people like you around him it may sink in that his views are unacceplable - but it will take a lot of time - but mark my words in the long run what you do and have done will only be positive - you may just not be in his life long enough to see it it.
    Great post - thanks Stef

    ReplyDelete
  9. If you like Jethro Tull, see if they have Jade Warrior! Their first three albums would probably tickle your fancy: Jade Warrior, Released, and Last Autumn's Dream. Their 4th and fifth albums were recored in the early 70s and are in the same vein, but they sat unreleased 'til the late 90s: Eclipse and Fifth Element. After those were recorded and shelved. the vocalist/bassist left and they became strictly instrumental. He came back 35 years later, however, for 2008's NOW, which is also excellent.

    They're a bit more psychedelic than Tull, but there's a bit of vocal similarity, plus flute and the occasional hard rocker. Their hard stuff, however, is harder than any Tull I've heard.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good music -- I love Rush of Blood to the Head. I am a big music fan and try to see a concert a month. Music stimulates my brain like no other activity-- and that's a good thing.

    Sounds like you got a lot going on right now!

    Cheers-

    Steve

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello Rowan,
    I check out your blog often! I know you like Stephen Fry.
    Check out this
    http://www.stephenfry.com/

    Oh, and have a look at my blog.

    ReplyDelete

Don't be afraid, drop a line or two :)