Where the fuck is everyone going?
Since the start of the year, four blogs i read on a regular basis have disappeared, their owners have shut them down and went with them - Im sure im not the only one to have picked up on this.
- Gabe
- DJ
- Lauren
- Jack (http://confrontingtheconfused.blogspot.com/2011/02/goodbye.html)
Not to mention Mirrorboy left, i think, at the beginning of the year as well (although his blog still remains open)
It's just that this time last year, things were so exciting, fast, busy and happy and now look at it.
I know my posts aren't regular but Blogger, it seems, once a vibrant, fertile community is slowly becoming a dreary, barren wasteland.
:(
Rowan <3
juiceboys *2524
1 week ago

Blog Land has undergone many changes as the years march on. Very busy times, very slow times, lots of people have come and gone, lots of drama, bloggers maturing or having changes in their lives that led them to leave the online world for the real world. Oh, and of course Giggle has been deleting yet another round of blogs, too.
ReplyDeleteMirrorboy is doing well, but not actively a part of the community, to our loss. But he's a prime example of the ones who have moved to a better place in life.
Sadly you're right, things have been rather..... dull, I suppose. I'm not even sure where the next evolution of Blog Land will take us.
Hello Rowan
ReplyDeleteThis is something I've noticed, and posted about at the end of last month. Blogland seems to be a place characterised by comings and goings, but there does seem to have been a disproportionate amount of going in 'our' little corner of cyberspace lately. The blogs you mention specifically all seem to have closed/gone into hiatus for different reasons, as far as I can tell from reading them, and not always for bad reasons - DJ leaving seems to be because potentially good rather than bad things are happening. It doesn't help, of course, when Blogger gratuitously delete blogs for reasons which seem to me to smack of outright censorship (It's Getting Better, particularly). Maybe these things are cyclical, and it will all start blooming again soon - it would be nice to think so.
Love & best wishes
Sammy B
I've been on Blogger for several years, and I think this is just something that happens. Some people stay around; others leave after a while. It's actually pretty normal for people's interests to change. It may also be that the younger a blogger is, the more likely he is to find other interests, or to find that the blog has served its purpose and he doesn't need it any more.
ReplyDeleteI think what you will find is that new people are starting to blog as well. Just keep checking the people who comment on the blogs you follow.
I'm still here :) Just not a-bloggin'.
ReplyDeleteI think that as you get to know more people over the Internet then there's more scope for people to get hurt. I do think that it's a shame that the community is at a weak point right now, and maybe it'll revive once everyone's had time to step back and look at things from a different perspective.
One thing's for certain though - the friends that you've made here won't leave you just because they've shut their blog down. Sure you may not hear from them directly again, but I can guarantee that the majority will come back here to read your blog and check up on you - even if they don't talk.
I'm your cousin so I don't really count as I kinda have to talk to you :D but the people who care won't delete that care just because their blog has gone :)
Lauren x
I hear you, Rowan, but take heart, Jack's still around...Mboy left for a lot of reasons, we chat once in a blue moon, and he and Reece are still together and doing well...Gabe is alive, but just not blogging, and DJ, well, it was unexpected, but apparently there were some very quick life changes that came up, so he's given it up for now. Perhaps others will move in to fill the void. I hope so.
ReplyDeletePeace <3
Jay
Is blog land a microcosm of life?
ReplyDeleteI remember feeling very empty when I left school and rapidly lost touch with a whole load of people I'd 'lived with' for years.
Similarly whenever I've changed jobs I've left people behind and although everyone says they'll keep in touch they rarely do. We all move on.
And THANKS Sammy B - RIP It's GB!
Hey Rowan.
ReplyDeleteI've noticed it as well. I think what people have already said is true. People come, people go. As far as Gabe and DJ, I think it was under good circumstances. I know Gabe was having problems with some people, but overall he was still happy. I don't know if you've heard from him, but DJ is doing well. He had some things pop into his life that needed his attention, and he didn't feel like he had the time for the blog right now. He might be back someday, or not.
There are always more blogs, and more bloggers, we just have to find them. I'm sure there are some great people out there, maybe that even read your blog but don't comment, just waiting to join our 'interesting' little community.
Hope you're well!
143
_Kevin