(first post from new laptop, yay!)
Erm, anyway. Recently, our school has put on a production of the comic opera "The Mikado" which you may, or may not, be familiar with... It is, after all, one of the most frequently played musical theatre pieces in history (according to Wikipedia :P)
Well, it was excellent.
It ran from Saturday evening till Wednesday evening and i seen the penultimate and final performances because i enjoyed it so much.
What made it good were the role reversals. Two lead characters were played by girls and another female character was played by a guy in drag which was quite hilarious. He sang countertenor as well, quite impressive.
The music was also great and is now stuck in my head :P
Seeing it and enjoying it as i did, has quite made me want to participate in some capacity at next year's school show, even though i can't sing. I'm certainly dedicated enough: the train i was due to get this evening was cancelled so i ran/walked for 3 miles in the pouring rain with only 30 minutes to get there! haha
Some would probably call me mad, but i wasn't missing it after having paid for my ticket.
I would say i enjoyed Tuesday's performance more though, because i hadn't seen it in full before, i wasn't in a rush and there were no annnoying twats behind me like there were tonight -_-
But the cast and the musicians were fantastic on both nights, and probably all nights tbh. I'm glad i went to see it after not being sure whether i would or not.
Now on slightly more sour, something has been bothering me recently.
I kind of cringe even posting about it because it's so unbelievably juvenile and immature.
Remember when i posted about Bryan getting his haircut a few months back and i was quite worried that he would look so different afterwards?
Yeah, well this Friday, he's getting his head shaved completely :/
"For a change" allegedly. I've tried to persuade him otherwise in a light-hearted way but it's still going to happen no matter what.
I know how pathetic i sound, trust me. Why this bothers me can only be explained by the fact that for me, long hair on a guy is make or break. I don't find short hair on guys appealing, but thats not to say they still can't be hot.
Regardless, me worrying and obsessing about someone else's choice of hairstyle really is quite sad and i just wish i couldn't give a crap but for some reason i do. It's Bryan after all!
Geez, that's another thing... I still fancy Bryan, im not going to deny it (and "fancy" might be an understatement) but i know i probably will until we go our separate ways next year when high school is done and dusted. Perhaps this Friday could be the change of that.
Perhaps this is a blessing in disguise.
You see, i don't like having an almighty crush on one of my best friends. It's pain-staking and it's awkward coz i can't really say what i want.
I honestly wish i didn't fancy him, i wish i could see him as nothing more than a great friend coz i know that nothing will ever happen between us so maybe when this cutting of hair takes place, the situation will be different. But it's an almighty ask and one i see as unlikely.
I'm just trying to make the best of bad circumstances. I'm caught in two minds and the long wait till Friday isn't helping things.
Then again, school ends on Friday and then i probably won't see him for another 6/7 weeks so his hair might be slightly longer by then?
Fuck, im just clutching at straws. Why i'm worrying about this is so pathetic but there isn't much i can do to change it, even though i would so badly like to.
Im expecting most, if any, comments to be along the lines of, "Grow. The. Fuck. Up." Feel free, it's exactly what i've been telling myself...
Anyway, go see The Mikado etc. Trust a Catholic school to put on a racist opera...
SWISH! No, i joke (they took the racist parts out) It's a good watch and if it's on anytime soon professionally, i'll probably go see it again, and so should you!
Rowan <3
juiceboys *2524
1 week ago

Maybe 10 or 12 years ago the high school in my town put on the Mikado, and it was really great. They had a good tenor for Nanki-Poo, a good soprano for Yum-Yum, and a fine alto for Katisha. But what really made it great was that the Ko-Ko, Pooh-Bah, and Mikado not only had voices that were well suited to the music, but they were very good comedians as well. Unfortunately, they haven't done any G&S since then, but that was a case where they had just the right people for all the leading roles. I did the same sort of thing you did. I went on Friday evening and went back on Sunday afternoon; and I also bought two copies of the videotape.
ReplyDeleteAs for Bryan's haircut, if it doesn't put you off Bryan, then maybe you'll learn to like short hair and shaved heads. LOL
NO, no lectures about growing up. You're doing quite well, Rowan. But hair is a small part of a person, though a big part of your physical appeal to them, so it's separating the physical from the mental that can be tough, and what you need to do. Dumping him as a friend because he's being radical physically (it's not like he's piercing a lip or eyebrow or something, or tatting his face, FFS!) I guess could be considered juvenile, but your feelings are as valid as can be. Just try to make the best of a "bad" situation. Hair does grow back, and I'll bet when he sees the reaction of his family and friends, he'll be anxious to return to the world of the normally-haired!
ReplyDeleteGlad you liked the Mikado, it is a great show.
Peace <3
Jay
Hey Rowan.
ReplyDeleteHaven't heard of The Mikado before. I'll have to use the wonderful power of Google. Glad you had a good time though, even if you were running in the rain to get there.
As for the hair, I also am not going to tell you to grow up. I actually don't really like long hair on guys, but there are a few exceptions that I REALLY like. So maybe for you, it'll break the spell Bryan seams to have on you, or (hopefully not), it'll make it worse. But since you've come to terms that nothing can happen between you two, I'm sure you'll be fine either way.
As for Jay's comment, be careful. The 'hair grows back' thought was what made me convince my mom to let me get a bright red mohawk when I was 14. She figured I'd grow out of it and want normal hair back pretty quick. Unfortunately for her, it took 3 years. After that, I was tired of having to deal with it all the time, so I finally shaved it off. But I still REALLY want another one, which is why I refuse to grow my hair longer than a few inches. Any more than that, and I start thinking about it again. And please, don't suggest a short one. For me, it has to be at least 6 inches tall. Anything shorter and I don't really like it.
Wow. See? I can really talk about this. Which is why I try not to. Sorry.
Hope you're well! Get ready to enjoy summer!
143
_Kevin
Hello Rowan
ReplyDeleteBeing in love with a straight friend, especially a close friend, is mega-difficult - I know, because I was in that position for several years. The only sensible coping mechanism I found was to try and think of the other person's feelings, and try not to do or say anything that would hurt them, or even make them feel uncomfortable. There certainly are no easy answers, though.
As far as hairstyles, and the effect they have on people's appearance and attractiveness go, I have much the same reaction as you. The boy I was so smitten with who lived near where I used to work had the loveliest hair, but, from time to time, appeared with a much shorter haircut than usual - he was younger, and was doubtless shorn by order of his parents - which didn't suit him at all. He was still gorgeous, but not quite to the same degree, until his hair grew back!
Love & best wishes
Sammy B
Glad you enjoyed "The Mikado." (It's been ages since I've listened/watched any of it.)
ReplyDeleteWhat do you mean, you can't sing? (DJ could give you lessons!)
It's OK for you to conflicted/obsessive over Bryan and his hairdo.
Things will run their course...que sera sera.
:-)
-Andy