Well today threw up a....mixed bag, if you will with some interesting results.
Beforehand i predicted myself to get a B or C in English and a B in Media.
Close but not quite.
English was an A.
Media was a B....sort of.
But as i said it is quite interesting.
English first.
They have a strange way of marking the papers. We sat three different ones.
Two essays and one Close Reading.
What they do is take the mark from Close Reading, multiply by 5, divide by 3. (Dunno why)
Theeeeen, add that total to the two marks from the essays.
So, my Close Reading mark was 19/30. Fairly decent.
Multiply by 5 gives me 95 and divide by 3 gives me 31.6
(Hope you're with me so far.)
So then i take my essay marks in which i both got 18/25 and add them to 31.6
So 31.6 add 36 = 67.6
So that's my final percentage 67.6%
B, as i thought.
Someone asks, "Sir, what's the cut off mark for an A?
"Oh it's 68%"
NOOOOOOOOO!
ARE YOU KIDDING!
0.4% away from an A!!!
So, i cheekily asked the teacher if we could just round it up to 68 and he surprsingly said yes as he had done so already on his marking scheme. (He is one of my favourite and easiest teachers to get along with)
Whew, relieved or what?
Very.
But very happy too, i was certainly not expecting an A in English.
So in a happy mood i toddled off to Media to get my result and to meet the teacher who is pretty much the opposite of my English teacher
Media, like English has a strange marking method which involves totalling the two essays and then multiplying them by 1.5
However they come up with that i don't know.
But my first essay got 25/40 and the second, 26/40.
So logically that's 51/80 giving me around 64%. B, no argument.
Fine and dandy.
But not so.
You take 51 and multiply it by 1.5 giving me 57.5%
"Miss, what's the cut off for a B?"
"58%"
"Can we round it up?"
"No"
Wtf.
Why?
She's an English teacher too, she would have rounded it up there so why not in Media?
Coz she was in a bitch of a mood.
As she usually is.
Some days she gets along with the class but most days she doesn't.
So i just said straight to her that i regard it as a B. She says to me that i'm not to and i say back that i'm telling my mum it's a B, so i did.
And my mum agrees.
The stupid system they have to work it out means i got a C.
Without their system i would have had a comfortable B but even with it, the teacher should round it up.
B.
Anyway, i know if there's any complications they can be discussed later.
But now, i reluctantly look to Biology which i assume i will get back tomorrow.
Along with Maths, Biology is one of my worst subjects.
So i don't hold my hopes high for it. If i get a C, great.
But speaking of Maths, we went over the first part today and where i fell down was due to a combination of careless mistakes and generally not knowing what to do.
When they go over the paper and say what you should have done i felt so stupid, i wanted to kick myself.
I'm convinced that on a different day i would have passed that paper.
Only 4 or so more marks would have given me the required pass mark which was 48% and i got 40%
I'm not going to beat myself up too much tho, i know i need to improve and i will.
There is a class test arranged for next week too so we'll see how that goes.
Err lastly, i did get the Ash on my forehead today after some deliberation. I thought it would be easiest and hassle free if i just got it. I don't discuss religion much with my friends although i would be open to, so i would probably have got a few questions from them and perhaps my guidance teacher too who thinks everyone should get it.
So i got it and just wiped it off after the crazy cult gathering had finished :P
J/K
Although it was quite funny. Steven asked me what you say after they give you the Ash.
They say, "Turn away from sin and be faithful to the gospel"
So he thought you replied "Amen" but i said to him that you should reply "No"
Lmao.
I don't even think you need to say anything so i didn't but "No" was on my mind as i went to receive it.
No, i'm not a little rebel kid haha, i think you can tell from my mostly nerdy Prelim results. :P
They played a song during the receival too so we were wondering what it was going to be.
Steven suggested the very heavy "Dead Star" by Muse and i suggested the very anti-religious "Megalomania" also by Muse. Had a little chuckle about that although it turned out to be a Save Haiti song.
Anyway i'll embed Megalomania and if anyone tells me they like the song i will be very surprised :P
Great song in my opinion but not just because of the themes of it.
Cheers guys,
Rowan
P.S Megalomania means to have delusions of great wealth and power and also means to have an obsession with extravagant things or actions.
I'll post the lyrics too :
Paradise comes at a price
that i am not prepared to pay
what were we built for?
could someone tell me please?
The good news is, she can't have babies
and wont accept gifts from me
what are they for?
they'll just grow up, and break the laws you've loved
Take off your disguise
I know that underneath it's me
Useless device, it won't suffice
i want a new game to play
when i am gone
it won't be long, before i disturb you in the dark
Paradise comes at a price
that i am not prepared to pay
what were we built for?
will someone tell me please?
Take off your disguise
I know that underneath it's me
Aaaaaaahhhhhhhh Ooooooooo (random falsetto)
Lol
juiceboys *2524
1 week ago

an A & B rowan and 0.5 away from the A
ReplyDeletewell done mate DRU
sounded just like radiohead rowan
ReplyDeleteRowan, I really enjoy reading your posts.
ReplyDeleteLove, Jamie
Good doing Rowan! That's a B in my book too. I never understood why some teachers won't round up when it's .5 or higher. Good thing your mom agrees too.
ReplyDeleteInteresting song. I think it would have been awesome if they had played some Bad Religion, but based off the name it would never happen, even though a lot of their songs aren't even about religion... I read somewhere they chose the name just because it would piss off their parents :-P
Hope you're well,
-Kevin
Thats not fair the teachers tell you to round up if it is .5 or more and round down if it is below .5 Why don't the teachers do that. One did, can't the other one do it to? That sucks. I glad the other teacher did it for you. Hugs, JJ
ReplyDeleteI think you did ok - biology give it your best shot and good luck.
ReplyDeleteFunny I was brought up a "mick" [Catholic] and up to your previous post I never knew anything about Ash Wednesday - sounds more like a cult thing - hey goes to show your never to old to learn.
Regards Stef
WTF? I know it's been, oh say 20+ years since I was in school...my head is still spinning... a should be in the 90+ percentile. DUDE! I get the x correct out of y questions... but wouldn't y question / 100 be easier? I'll stay dumb cause 2 + 2 must be 3.6 now.
ReplyDeleteKeep up the good work and TAKE YOUR TIME IN MATH! I hate it to.
Have Fun!
Alan
I am also confused by that grading system, but I think I just have to accept it. I am a little new to this blog and this is my first comment, so "Hi!". Good luck on Biology. Just remember to take your time (if you have it) and check back on your answers.
ReplyDelete-An Avid Reader Anthony
Rowan,
ReplyDeleteBetter to be a nerdy rebel than to sit back and take it. You must have made the Media teacher's day, you thoughtful lad.
So I'm worried when you talk about Ash and say, "I thought it would be easiest and hassle free if i just got it." I'm disappointed (lol).
What's this Ash thing? I never was a catholic, so these cult gatherings are a mystery to me. Although I was brought up Anglican I never knew what Ash Wednesday was, can u enlighten me? In Aus, it refers to a particularly bad bushfire in the 80's which was only eclipsed last year by Black Saturday - 173 dead (that's your useless bit of info for the day).
I was lucky with Maths, early on we had this absent-minded prof, with tousled hair, round glasses and white lab coat. He was so infectious that you just wanted to know more. Now I'm a programmer because of him.
You seem to have got that enthusiasm in languages, if I remember from an earlier blog. We had this young blond-haired teacher for German and he talked to us like Adolf Hitler and frog-marched around the room. He told us, "Ze germans, zey speak English like zey speak German, so when you speak German, you must imitate zem". He gave us a phrase from an old war movie to practice in our head before we spoke German, it was "Vee ef vays und meanz ov making u tok". It worked wonders for me when I was in Germany. There was a song at the end of each chapter in the text book - he had us learn them, which amazed the German family I stayed with later!
I digress - again. Overall, these results are pretty good, even for a nerd. So don't go all despondent. I promise to listen to Megalomania later, I'm at work at the mo.
Well done (except for that bit about giving into religion).
Hugs
r.jimlad
Well congratualations on the marks! I also don't get why teachers don't just round up the makrs when they're really close, but whatever. Congrats.
ReplyDeleteDo you think, just maybe, that the UK education system has a bit of a silly marking system?
ReplyDeletelove
fb