Sunday, 20 June 2010

Glasses and Contact Lenses

For as long as i can remember i must have always had bad eye sight. (Yes i have glasses, sexy glasses :P)

It wasn't until i was about 11 though that something was done about it, you see, i never actually knew my eye-sight was bad for 11 years, i simply thought that is what everybody elses must have been like lol

Anyhoo, I remember being in my last year of primary school and the whole class were getting their eyes tested for some reason. I got handed a leaflet after my test was done and i was one of the select few to walk back into class with a leaflet so i felt kinda scared.

I seriously didn't want glasses. There were not many people in my class with specs so i really wanted nothing to do with them.

Anyway, a few weeks later i went to an opticians for another test and then walked out with a pair of glasses :/

I got home and sat them on a table and stared at them, hating them... I then cried coz i had glasses and was expected to wear them.

Mum came in and started with the "oh, look at all the celebs who have glasses, it'll be fine"

So, i gave it a shot and eventually got used to wearing them a bit more, only for stuff like watching tv etc. (it is short-sightedness i am plagued by) :P

I wasn't ever brave enough to wear them in front of others at school though but i knew my time was running out coz i could never read the blackboard so one day i put them on in class and i got "oh, cool you have glasses, since when?" kinda stuff and it was no hassle.

That made me a bit more comfortable wearing them and ever since then i have had no problems about what people think. That is what i was scared of at first, getting called names or being bullied for having them but nothing ever came of it I probably should wear them all the time but i only wear them at home watching tv and at school reading the board. I don't wear them when i'm sitting in front of my computer, typing or if i'm out and about places.

But why am i telling you this?


Coz I really want contact lenses!!!

I am ok with wearing glasses but i just find them annoying now. I absolutely hate not being able to read far away things like signposts and stuff, just irks me completely.

It has for a while. In fact, it was about this time last year that i mentioned to my mum about contact lenses for the first time. Nothing was done for a while but i soon got an appointement at the opticians to try contact lenses.

It went well.

The guy managed to get them in and everything was great. Until... the price of it all was revealed.

I don't know exactly but my mum just said we couldn't afford it at the time and that was it. I cried again.

It hasn't been mentioned for a while but not long ago i went to the the opticians, a different one this time, for a contact lenses appointment and this new guy couldn't get them in my eyes.

He put it down to my reflexes which i think is true but it left me wondering how the other optician did it without any hassle...

*sigh*

Glasses are really annoying me, i know i should wear them all the time to avoid squinting and stuff that might damage my eye-sight further but i am getting to the point where i hate wearing them completely.

So, soon (probably after we come back from London) i am going to say to my mum again and get her to give me another shot at contact lenses. I want them badly. I honestly think it would make me a lot happier coz i don't like seeing myself in glasses (sexy tho they are) :P

I'm not saying people with glasses can't be attractive or good-looking but that's the way they make me feel about myself. I'm sure there are plenty of lovely looking people with glasses out there but i would just prefer not to have them.


This was a pretty random post but i realised it was something you guys didn't know about me yet so thought i would talk about it, hope it was somewhat enjoyable...

I'll try and think of more stuff to post that maybe you don't know about me, or you could always ask me something in a comment, i'd be happy to answer :)

Also want to add a poll about something coz i havent ever done one. I can't think of anything right now to make a poll about but i have all summer to think of something

XD



Hugs,
Rowan

8 comments:

  1. I started wearing glasses at age 18. I needed them many years before that but I didn’t want to wear them for the same reasons you stated. In school I cheated on all the eye exams by memorizing the eye chart. It was a big joke how I was able to fool the eye exams but really the joke was on me. I went for a long time not seeing the world as others did. My eye sight is like yours: near sighted. I could always read ok without glasses but everything in the distance was fuzzy.

    I have never tried contacts. I don’t think I could ever get used to them. I have always had a fear of having something in my eye. Now, with astigmatism, normal contacts wouldn’t do me much good.

    I hope you can get contacts if you want them. Lots of folks use them and are perfectly happy with them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I suffer from astigmatism, they told me when I was around in primary too that I had to wear glasses to read, watch TV and use the computer. I barely used it at home and once took them out during class... a girl that was sitting beside me made a not so nice remark about them so I took them off and never used them again.

    I really didn't need them that much (although my eyesight has decreased considerably) but that comment alone was more than enough to make me hate my glasses... I cant remember what it was... she's a mean girl...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dude, you and JJ could start your own psychic hotline or something. I was just going to make a post on my blog about glasses or a contact lens for my situation then I saw your post title and came to read it.

    I did the same thing as Brian, cheated on eye exams to avoid glasses too. I guess I gave up when I was around 15 and I had to get the dreaded glasses. I never wore them though except to watch tv when noone else was around. Then I finally got brave enough to try contact lenses, I was always scared to put my finger on my eye.

    But I'll never forget the eye doctor gettin so frustrated with me cuz I couldn't keep my eyes open for him to put them in. He gave up but I begged my dad to still buy them for me. I must have spent 2 hours in front of the mirror tryin to get the dam things in and I finally got it.

    The trick is to look up and put the lens low on your eye and once it is ther it will correct itself where it needs to be.

    Unless your mom wants to spring for the extended wear, personally I wouldn't bother with them, unless you really won't mind taking them out every day. Alot of people do it, but it's just too much for me.

    Before my accident, I've left mine in for 2 months straight before (at least), mainly because they are so comfortable that I forget that I was even wearing them. But don't do that, it's apparently not good to do and your eye doc will yell at ya haha. Of course, they're suggesting I go back to glasses now, but only to serve as a precaution (cuz strike 2 then I'm out).

    Anyway, good luck. Hopefully you can get some.

    Paul

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do understand where your coming from Rowan had needed glasses from about 12 hated them unfortunately i did get picked on at school called speck fore eyes exc even got into a few fights which helped i suppose proved i was tougher than I thought I was really
    G-STAR

    ReplyDelete
  5. Contacts are the best, no one knows you need glasses unless the pollen is everywhere. Then I can't wear mine I need to wear my glasses for a couple weeks in the spring but when that is done I can wear contacts again.

    If you got troubles getting them in it is because you are scared to put something in your eye. You know when a hair and dust gets in them they really hurt till it is out. You have to get use to it then it is no problem. An eye doctor showed me a trick that works a lot. Before you put them in go wash your hands really good with soap and water and make sure you get all the soap off your hands now sit at the mirror with a contact ready for an eye. Now take your finger and put the tip of your finger on your eye but not the finger nail. Leave it there a few seconds and let you eye know you can have something on it and it wont hurt. Then take off your finger blink a couple times and put the lens in. Doing that kind of tricks your brain that you can have something on it and it don't hurt. Also open your eyes wide sometimes people don't open their eyes wide enough and that makes it hard to put them in. Also the trick Paul said about looking up works to because you open your eyes wider when you do.

    You can get the extended wear contacts that way you don't have to take them out all the time. But make sure you mark the calender when you did so you know if you can leave them in that long, how long it is. Mine you can wear for 30 days but then throw them away, and get a new set. They cost a little more but not as much as you think.

    It is really cool all the contacts they make for kids to play around with to. I like the cat eyes the best. It makes your eyes look like a cats eyes. They are really weird and fun to watch people look again to see if they really did see something different. Wolf eye's are my next favorite, they are like a blueish gray and they are cool to. I have had bulls eyes to where it looks like your eyes are bulls eyes. Not the animal, but like to shoot at. They got all kinds. You can even change the color of your eyes if you want to. All of the fun ones cost more to and they are still a lot fun. I think a lot eye places give you a set for free to see if they work or not and that way you can see if you can wear them. Well they do here anyway. But get a test set first to see if you can wear them. Some people can't. Hugs JJ

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a good read! And you got really detailed comments.

    I note you take your glasses off when posing for a portrait, he-he.

    No probs for me at school reading blackboards, but I've spent, *facepalm*, 32 years in front of a computer terminal - before that, it was punched cards!

    I was 28 when I put someone else's glasses on and the lights on the Harbour Bridge ceased to be stars and became circles. But I was well in my 30s when I went for an eye test.

    It's different needing specs first when you're an adult, glasses were a no-brainer: they made me look more intelligent!

    For sometime now I've had multifocal transitions (light-sensitive) for driving and outdoor use. I don't need sunglasses. I forget to wear them for tv, but people laugh when I take my glasses off to read a menu!

    The multifocals are great in meetings when I can see the projector screen, then look down at my notes/laptop without squinting. But they're awful when I want to read something up high, I almost break my neck.

    Just 2 weeks ago, I got a cool frameless set, and I keep my old tougher glasses for sailing.

    r.jimlad

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm like you in that I've needed glasses since I was 10 or so, and refused to wear them. I've had contacts since I was a teenager and my eyesight has needed them since.

    I think a lot of people look good in glasses, but, I'm not one of them. I've never been one of them, and, well, I doubt I ever will be.

    A few comments have nailed it on how you can put in contacts, too, Rowan: look up, put the lens in on the white part of your eye (at the bottom), and then slowly look down. The lens will slide into place and it feels a little weird at first, but you'll get used to it. Some people have an easier time looking outward (opposite their nose) and putting the lens into the inner corner of their eye (by their nose) and then letting it correct that way, too. One of those methods should work for you.

    Good luck with the next attempt, they say the third time is the charm... I hope you get them, I think it'd do you a world of good, too.

    -Rhyn

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for all your advice guys, i don't have contact lenses to even pracitce with right now so im a little stumped but next time i go to the opticians i refuse to walk out without some :P

    Oh, and Rhyn, you saying i don't look good with my glasses on? lol
    Something about that in my next post, look out hehe

    ReplyDelete

Don't be afraid, drop a line or two :)