Saturday, 27 February 2010

Stephen Fry



This man is a legend.

For those of you who don't know who he is, i'll fill you in.

He is a an actor/writer/director/tv star.

He currently hosts the tv show QI, which i must say is absolutely fantastic, it's factual and funny.

Stephen is the host due to his knowledge really, and coz of how much he knows. He's a pretty clever cookie.
He is also gay and i think he's an atheist although i'm not too sure.


Anyhoo, the reason i'm making this post about him is due to a video i came across the other day on It's Getting Better.

It is a video of Stephen Fry himself debating about the teachings of Catholicism.
I found it to be a very interesting video, not just because of what he says but how he says it and expresses himself.

Even if you are Catholic and don't want to watch this video, i suggest you at least give it a go coz it really is very good.

Oh and btw it's about 20 minutes long so set aside some time to watch it!




The Intelligence² Debate - Stephen Fry (Unedited)

by Xrunner17


 
 
Cheers,
Rowan
 
P.S Big thanks to Micky who supplied me with the HTML code for this video :)

14 comments:

  1. Hello Rowan, I hope you are having a nice weekend.

    I'll watch the video.

    Love,
    -- Jamie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never knew that Stephen Fry was gay. you learn some new new everyday.

    That was a reallt strong arguement that he put up there and he did a good job. i wonder how he did. religion is a dodgey topic, i think. they all have their positive views but they also seem to have some very nasty negatives as well. not saying im an expert on religions, there might be one that isnt like that just havent found it yet.

    WOW he reallyis smart. there were a lot of things he talked about that i didnt know until he said it. well i deffo learnt more than one new thing today :D thanks Rowan that was a interesting video
    rawr
    Raron

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanx for the link and the plug!

    Yay verily Stephen is a great orator and a brainy gizzard - well, him and the production team. Mind you, some of their 'facts' are of wikipedia standard!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't have time to watch it right now, but I really am interested, and will be watching it later on this weekend or Monday. Thanks SO much for finding it, Rowan, you're awesome!

    Love, always...
    -Rhyn

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't agree more, although I would've used more innovative and colourful words.

    Sorry to say ive never heard of Stephen Fry before (maybe cause i live in NA?). However, he seems like a sensible and intelligent person.

    down with eternally damned religious cowards,
    -AS/DF

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just realized where I know that name from. Stephen Fry did the voices for the Harry Potter books on tape.

    Excellent topic of discussion, one I am fairly well versed in. I hope I have time today or tomorrow to finish watching (I started it, but was interrupted). Hope you are well.

    -An Avid Reader Anthony

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thats where i thought i knew him from

    im glad some else was thinking it as well i thought i was being stupid
    rawr
    Raron

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't know all about the catholic church but they did rape a lot boys and it was in the papers. Why don't they let them get married and have families. Then maybe they leave the boys alone. I am starting to not like a lot churches, even my own. Mine says I can't be gay to. Why not? I am not hurting anyone. Hugs JJ

    ReplyDelete
  9. JJ,
    Originally, the Catholic Church allowed their priests to marry. But a lot of priests had been killed. This was not because people were fighting the Church, no, it reigned supreme. Priests were appointed by the local landowner (Duke, Baron, etc.), so in any war or territory dispute, when the landowner was deposed, the priest was frequently killed.

    This cost the Church a lot of money to support the widows and orphans of these priests, so around 1000AD, they invented celebacy. Problem solved - but a few generations of young boys would disagree.

    Most Chatholic dogmas (go look up) originated from economic necessity. Another is fish on Fridays - invented to keep the fishing trade going. The Blessed Virgin Mary dogma was invented to keep faith with the women who were the backbone of the Church, but were never allowed to hold office of any kind, which holds to this day.

    Rowan,
    I will set aside time to watch Stephen Fry. He frequently does a spot on the series Bones (from NA) as the shrink for the FBI employees.

    Yes he is undoubtedly gay, with a possible penchant for teenagers (of any age).

    For me, he is the modern equivalent of Oscar Wilde, therefore was perfectly cast in that role for the movie about him.

    Bretheren,
    You should try to get hold of a couple of his novels from your library: Hippopotamus, and The Liar. The first is of a sexually troubled 15 year old boy, the other involves the British Public School System (i.e private boarding schools) and rent boys. In the latter, there is the 'real' story of Oliver Twist.

    Fry has a wicked sense of humour, he once said, "A secret is something you tell just one person at a time". Oh so true.

    Rowan, I knew you'd appreciate him.
    r.jimlad

    ReplyDelete
  10. think QI is something i would never get board of
    but i must admit its Alan & Stephen and the banter between them . like the original batman series in the 1960s adam west played batman happy to give autographs and robin played by bert ward
    who had a strange autograph to say the least he used to have sex with people who asked for his autograph whether it was male or female .
    strange i know DRU

    ReplyDelete
  11. @JJ
    - Thats one of the reasons i have pretty much turned away from religion. Most religions just breed hate.
    Look at some of the main religion of the world : Catholicism, Protestant, Islam, Mormonism.
    That's just a few examples.
    They all say no to being gay.
    If they can't accept me, why should i accept them?

    @r.jimlad
    - Thanks for the history lesson, most of that i never knew.
    And thanks for recommending those books, i will check them out.
    I have heard of Moab is my Washpot (also by Stephen Fry) but i'm not sure about any of the others. Time, perhaps, to check into my local library soon :P

    Cheers,
    Rowan

    ReplyDelete
  12. My library doesn't have Hippopotamus but it does have The Liar. I have reserved it. Thanks r.jimlad for the recommendations.

    Love to all.
    -- Jamie

    ReplyDelete
  13. I decided to go ahead and order Hippopotamus from Amazon.com, a used paperback copy. I want to read it.

    Love to everyone.
    -- Jamie

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm reading The Liar by Stephen Fry now. It is a great book so far, very humorous!

    Love,
    -- Jamie

    ReplyDelete

Don't be afraid, drop a line or two :)