Friday, 14 May 2010

English Exam

I was gonna post this yessterday but i just wanted to relax after it all, it was quite a tiring ordeal.

I woke up feeling ok, did an hour or two of revision coz the exam didn't start until 1pm, but as the hours wound down i grew more steadily nervous. After all, it was my first proper, big exam in a way. (Music was only 45 minutes)

My dad gave me a lift into school and wished me good luck, i went in and met everyone at our usual table in the cafeteria.
Get this, Alan's birthday was yesterday, the day of the exam!
Unlucky.
My nerves were really building by about 30 mins before so i opened some fruit pastilles and chewed away and then loads were asking for some lol.
I shared and gave one to a few people (two for Alan :P)

Then we were told to make our way to the english rooms (where all exams are to be held) Everyone just kinda fell silent and entered their designated rooms.

The first part was a close reading, basically, you study a passage of an article taken from somewhere and answer questions on it.
Our passage was about an ancient Chinese emperor named Qin, not the most fascinating topic but i at least managed to answer all the questions in time. It was fair, some parts were tough and some were easy.

The close reading is regarded as easy coz it settles you in for what is in store after the 15 minute break, the essays.

During the break i just chewed on some more pastilles and went back into the room, feeeling neither confident nor nervous this time.

I had three texts prepared to write an essay on but you only write two in the exam, the third is a back-up.
The questions you need to base the essay on are all unseen so i was hoping for some luck with the questions and i got them. Nearly all questions suited Sailmaker (drama) and Jekyll and Hyde (prose) so i didn't need to worry about writing on To a Mouse (poetry)

I started with Sailmaker and got tht finished in about 40 minutes, leaving me a full 50 for Jekyll and Hyde, so i took it a bit slower coz i was getting tired and my right arm was killing me!

Again, i finished both essays so i was quite happy with that. Just need to hope that what i wrote made sense, it did at the time but i can't really say whether i feel confident or not about the results. I have no idea, just need to wait until August 5th....

But on the whole, i think it went well tho. I answered everything i needed to and at the end of the day, you can't really do much more than that, i gave it my best and im having a day off today.

Next week i have french on Tuesday and maths on Friday. French is something you can't (and i dont really need to) study for. So this next week i will be focusing hard on maths, which is a bit of a strange one to study for too.

2 exams down, 6 to go....


Cheers,
Rowan


P.S I've never been a big fan of Red Hot Chilli Peppers but my friend, Louis, showed me this song called Readymade and i thought it was pretty good so there's the vid below.





Awesome bass line :D

7 comments:

  1. i knew you'd find a day off somewhere rowan.
    chilli peppers are really cool Flea the bass player regarded as one of the best

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey,

    Hope you'll get good grades for english and wish you the best of luck for your remaining exams :) Won't have my first exam for another 3 weeks ^^

    The song is ok, but it does seem like Flea's fucking his guitar the first minute or something...

    Cya,
    Lieven

    ReplyDelete
  3. RHCP Are awesome man. That is all I wanted to comment on. Just reading about your exam made my stomach hurt. I hate that stuff

    :))

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad your exams so far are going well. I knew you'd ace your music one, after seeing what you can do on that bass (if not, the proctor's arse needs to have an introduction with my boot). English sounded easier than I would have expected it to be, but that's a blessing. I'm really glad you feel you did your best; I've always hated sitting exams and then looking back going "I should have", "I wish I'd", etc...

    Enjoy your day off, it's well deserved. French sounds like you're well prepared for it, too. You need to do well on your maths, so study hard and use the extra time that French is allotting you for it. I'm sure you'll do fine, though, because I believe in you Rowan.

    Take care, good luck, and, we'll talk later.

    Love, always!
    -Rhyn

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cool I am glad you did well so far. I think you will do great on all of them, just make sure you study for them and are ready. I got all my end of year finals next week and then I am done. Just 2 more weeks of school this year. Then a long summer this year. I can't wait. Love you and Hugs and Kisses JJ

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rowan I'm pleased that your English exam seemed to go well. After your immprovement in maths you have shown you can do it - so show em how - good luck anyway.
    Regards Stef

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like you had a pretty good hold on the english exams. At least you got some good questions for the essays. I'm sure you did fine and will get great marks. Enjoy the day off!

    FYI, it's Chili Peppers, with one L. Whatever. I'm not a big fan of theirs after Blood Sugar Sex Magik, but I still love that song. And I love Flea. Between his skill and his energy, it's simply amazing. Time to learn that song on bass Rowan! Or any of theirs really.

    -Kevin

    ReplyDelete

Don't be afraid, drop a line or two :)