It has now been a year since i came out to Lauren and wow, it's flown by.
(http://dailyodoings.blogspot.com/2010/01/i-came-out.html - The original post)
(http://dailyodoings.blogspot.com/2010/02/ls-response.html - The conversation on msn between me and Lauren)
It stays fresh in my mind and i expect it will until the day i die. I even remember the exact day and time. T'was a Sunday, and i typed the words on msn at 3:55pm.
Anyone find that sad?
Well, maybe not coz it was a big fecking step for me so i guess it's only right that i remember a lot about it. That step, i think, gave me courage. Since, i've been more confident about it, most particularly in school. Im not out of course but its certainly no secret that i have no problem with gays and even a few friends probably suspect i am as well. These friends being the new friends that i took the decision to socialise with because their views and opinions matched mine a lot better than my old group's ever did.
Oh, and my mum knows too, of course :P
But none of it would have happened if i never told Lauren last year, and would also never have happened if she wasn't so awesome about it :D
Thank you so much Lauren, you're brilliant and im honestly so happy and proud (and lucky) you're my cousin, but im sure you already knew that ;)
I think for some people, certain dates on the calendar stick out and i think January 31st will be one of them for me. It was my first step out of the closet, and hopefully the first of many happy steps. The 2nd went well enough about a month ago but the time between them was awfully long. 11 months.
It'll be interesting to see how long the next one will be, not that im gonna set out to try and better the record or anything haha
Rowan <3
juiceboys *2524
1 week ago

You're welcome for everything, and thank you for everything :)
ReplyDeleteI've written a blog post too if you would care to read it ^_^
Lauren x
It's been quite a year, hasn't it old friend? I think coming out to Lauren was the best thing you've ever done, she's a wonderful friend and cousin to you. You're blessed in so many ways to have her in your life...
ReplyDeleteLove, always!
-David
Rowan,
ReplyDeleteI sure don't think it's sad at all that you remember that date and time. September, 1, 2010, about 6:50PM, after a Mexican dinner, sitting in my truck outside her school behind a school bus so no one would see her and come wandering over to interrupt. Is that sad?
I understand exactly where you are. I'm in just about the same place: my two "mothers" know (by bff's), a few others, most know I'm gay-friendly, and I am positive some suspect if not outright know. It seems our lives aren't so different, even at about 36 years apart in age.
Oh how I wish I could have been where you are now back when I was your age. I just wonder where I'd be now. So it's very good that you see your place in life with such good cheer. And guess what, it gets easier, I'll bet it won't be 11 months before you say those words again!
Peace <3
Jay
Hello Rowan
ReplyDeleteTo trot out a rather hackneyed Confucian saying, 'A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step'. The kind of support you can find in blogland is great, but to have a real-life confidante who knows and accepts you and who you know you can talk to is invaluable, as I'm well aware from my own experience. I hope by this time next year you'll have taken a few more steps, at your own pace, towards the place you ultimately want to be.
Love & best wishes
Sammy B