Sunday, 5 September 2010

Happy Birthday, Farrokh Bulsara!

"Who?" You may be saying...

"Rings a bell" others might say...

"Freddie Mercury" is what those of you who love Queen will be screaming!


Yes, Freddie Mercury was born today (5th September) in 1946, would you believe?

In the country of Zanzibar, would you also believe?

In my opinion, this man was the greatest entertainer ever and I seriously doubt many will come close to equalling Freddy on the stage. (As i type, i am listening to Queen Live at Wembley, 1986, which i have never heard all the way through! :O)

Anyway, the way Freddie wrote songs, and sang and performed is just enough to take you're breath away, plus he was gay and in the 80's, i can imagine that was very tough. Tragically, he died of complications with AIDS in 1991, so i've never been alive at the same time as him :(

But the countless concerts that are available to buy make me feel not so sad. I can still view his greatness and so can you.

I've seen various clips from their famous Wembley show but this following clip just amazes me. It's Under Pressure (a great song) but i post it more for the reason of the back and forth singing between Freddie and the audience. Imagine being in the crowd on this day! Would have been quite something...


Happy 64th birthday, Freddie, you're a legend and an inspiration to many, inlcuding myself!






I'm going to be in that stadium in 6 days time ^^


Rowan <3

3 comments:

  1. I remember the day he died. My heat had died, and I had to have someone out to fix it. The repairman joked that he was surprised he hadn't heard "Another One Bites the Dust" on the radio, yet.

    I was not amused.

    It's especially tragic that he died the day after he finally publicly confirmed he had AIDS.

    I'm not too fond of their material from the 80s, but everything from Queen up through Jazz is brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rowan I had the pleasure of seeing a Freddie Mercury special on TV just a month or so ago.It included great interviews with people close to him including his sister - some really great stuff. This is where I found out his real name and tons of other things I never knew.
    He truly was one of the greats - among many things we can thank him for is the vid clip of Bohemian Rhapsody was one of the first proffesionaly produced clip that became a for runner for MTV.
    Regards Stef
    ps I was tickled pink to see you mention two great Beatle songs off your Sargent Peppers album in your comment on DJ's last post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Rowan
    Freddie was quite an entertainer, there's no doubt about it. I have to confess, though, that I was far more of a fan of Roger Taylor than I ever was of Freddie, maybe because I fancied myself as a drummer. I did get to see a few big bands in the late 70's and into the 80's, but I never did manage to see Queen live, although their Live Aid performance, which I saw on TV, was pretty legendary.

    Love & best wishes
    Sammy B

    ReplyDelete

Don't be afraid, drop a line or two :)