Thursday, 2 September 2010

The Black Sheep

In my family of 5, i am the only one who is actually not Catholic. My mum, dad, brother and sister all consider themselves to be so.

I suppose i'm quite lucky in the respect that neither my mum or dad are strict Catholics. It makes things a little easier. Or at least i would like to think so.

I myself, was raised a Catholic, was baptised and made my Communion etc. etc. but over the past few years i have become less interested in religion as a whole, renounced my faith and no longer consider myself to be Catholic.

While religion isn't a touchy subject in the house, the fact that i am not Catholic has never been challenged by my parents and i kinda wondered why recently. It isn't really talked about much so i found myself wondering if anyone actually knew that im not Catholic. It's not talked about so i had no idea.


What's the point in this post?

Well, yesterday i thought i would make it clear once and for all about my (lack of) religious views.

I told my mum when she was sorting out some clothes in my room. I said, "Mum, you know how this is a Catholic family? Like you and dad are Catholic, and raised us all Catholic"

"Yes"

"Well, i was just wondering if you had anything against me being not Catholic, or even religious"

She looked at me as if to say "that was a bit random" but then continued on and said "Well no, not really, you're old enough to make you're own informed decision. You might find in years to come you go back to religion but it's not that important. Why?"

"I was just wondering really, i didn't want you to be disappointed in me coz you raised me as Catholic"

She kinda chuckled "Well, we can hardly be called Catholic, we haven't been to church in at least a year"

"Yeh, i suppose. Thanks"


And there it was. I was quite happy for the rest of the night after that conversation - I think it tells a great deal about my mum's tolerance levels, which obviously is very pleasing.

If only i could get a similar reaction about something else...

I've honestly no idea how that could go, i was nervous enough asking (even though i wasn't expecting a hugely negative respsone) about the whole Catholic thing, let alone thinking about coming out to my mum, who btw would be the first person in my family i would tell.

I think that says quite a lot, that i consider my mum to be the first person i would tell. I do trust my mum but it's so difficult to try and gauge a reaction. I could imagine it being really awkward but perhaps she might gradually be ok with it.

But i really don't know.

She cracks gay jokes sometimes, no malice intended, but i think she would stop that if i were to come out to her.

My dad on the other hand, is a different story. He's not a strict Catholic either but he has a right downer on gay people. "The only gay I ever had time for was Freddie Mercury" he said not long ago. So he's out of the question.

Sad as it is, i could imagine him never talking to me again.

My brother and sister are also out of the question. My brother is far too immature to even understand and my sister, too young.

There are *NO* friends i would even consider telling, just for the record.

So that really only does leave my mum.


...and I have been thinking quite a lot (more than usual, anyway) about it.

I don't know how much of a surprise it would be, but surely the signs are there - I blow-dry and straighten my hair, i openly idolise Stephen Fry... I have a poster of Freddie freakin' Mercury on my wall for god's sake! :P

Maybe... i think my dad is fairly clueless though. E.g we're in the car and we drive by some young woman (lol) "Isn't she a nice one son?"

"Uhuh... sure" *weak smile*

So maybe he has no idea, or maybe he's suspicious, and is scared that i'm gay. Who knows. It's a lot to think about.


I see me telling my mum that i'm not Catholic is progress, i really do. And the fact that she accepts that and understands it, is testament to that progress.

Later she even said "I hope you've not been staying up late worrying about that."

I haven't been.

So, yes, while i am the black sheep of the family in two respects (not Catholic, and presumably the only gay one) good signs are appearing but i'm not going to jump the gun just yet. I wonder if i'll ever have the courage :/

Sometimes i can envisage me just deciding not to tell my mum or dad, even, and then regretting that i didn't when i'm older. I don't want to be 40/50 years old and telling my mum/dad on their deathbed. That horrifies me. And sometimes i picture that scene, it really depresses me when i do.

As i said, i've been thinking a lot about it lately, the pros and the cons, so my mood has been fluxtuating recently. I suppose the discussion with my mum and reading the post about Alex and his brother Tony triggered it. It was a really heart-warmer that post, and i'm so pleased for them.

What i would give for a reaction like that...


Rowan <3




P.S Sorry for not being around much, reading posts, commenting etc. Ive been... lazy

8 comments:

  1. *hugs*

    Just remember, Rowan, that religion is a choice, and being gay isn't. If they can accept the choices you've made for yourself in your own life, they'd presumably have to accept the things about you that you didn't choose for yourself, too... They may not understand at first, but they're your parents, and, they love you. I'd have a hard time believing your dad would cut you from his life completely, but if you really are concerned with that, you might want to wait a couple years until after school and you can support yourself. This way you aren't dependent on them in case things do not go as planned. Just my 2 pence, bro :-)

    Love, always!
    -David

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. Always happy to hear there's one less Catholic in the world :-D

    *ducks*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Rowan.

    While I have no problem with people who chose to follow religion, I'm reminded of a Bad Religion song, God Song. In there, they have a line that says,

    "religion is just synthetic frippery, unnecessary
    in our expanding global cultural efficiency."

    I'd check them out. They deal with a lot of religion (go figure) and politics. But they use a lot of large vocabulary, so you might need a dictionary while you listen, haha.

    From everything I've read about your mom, I'd say the odds of her not caring, or at least not having a negative reaction, are high. She seems like a pretty open-minded person. Whatever you decide to do, good luck. I hope someday soon I'll have the courage to finally tell my parents.

    By the way, gay or not, there is NOTHING wrong with having a Freddie Mercury poster on your wall. Even your dad said he liked him. Queen, as you know, is AWESOME!

    Thanks for the link to Alex's blog the other day. That was a wonderful story to read, and brought a huge smile to my face, as well as a few tears.

    Hope you are well, and you come round more.

    143

    _Kevin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rowan I have lived my life very much the same as you - raised a Catholic - had no time for religion - had a very understanding mum, a tough dad. I never did come out to either before they passed on - don't really have any regrets because at that time survival was always the first priorety - you will work out when the time is right for you - at your age there is no great rush, but that doesn't you don't think about it alot.
    Take care Stef

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just found your blog, Rowan. A few quick observations... [I am 33, gay, a high school teacher, have a spouse and I am out at school. I even teach sex ed! And most students want to be in my section.]

    1. Your mom probably knows! Moms often know, but they will let you come out at your own pace. Mom's reaction to the Catholic convo was fine and wise. Good sign. I would guess she and dad have discussed if you are gay. Especially if they talk about lotsa different stuff, that is communicate with each other easily and often. And I bet she is telling dad to not freak out and that you are the same son they have always loved if he has a negative reaction. And if he gets all crazy she will.... what wives do to naughty husbands. Dads sometimes take a while to adjust. There is so much macho crap in our culture. Here more than UK. Watch Billy Elliot (movie) with the family. Now and then when you get a chance let it be known that you are OK with gay people. Just a comment here and there will let them know how you feel. No need to say I AM GAY. What if one of them asks? One answer is, what if I am? Wouldn't you still love me? Sometimes it is a good strategy to casually say "I love you, mom or dad." Like when you are leaving the house or gong to bed. No big deal. If that would be highly unusual you can just say, well I was thinking the other day... and I decided it's cool to say that.

    2. Many very religious people do not consider being gay a sin or evil. There are Gay Catholic groups all over. The official church does not like it much, but there you are. Too bad! Jesus did not say zip ab out being gay. He seemed to be into love and acceptance.

    3. Come out when you feel ready to. Maybe uni if you go (and you should)! The more education you have the more choices you have in your life as you get older. Don't rush out of the closet. But that Freddy M poster is rather blatant! I don't think anyone is gonna drop dead of shock. You have no obligation to come out. Sometimes gay guys your age start to feel they are "living a lie." BS! You have a fundamental human right to privacy. There are gay zealots out there ranting on and on that EVERYONE should come out. I don't buy it.

    I am the GSA adviser at my school and I have done a lot of volunteer work with gay youth support groups in the San Francisco Bay Area where I live. So my opinions are based on real experiences.

    I like your blog. I mentioned going to Uni because you sound smart and you write well. You can get your ideas on a page. And a boy who uses vocabulary like this is uni material... envisage, idolize, fluctuating, triggered. Spelling and grammar come with experience, it is your ideas and how well you express them that impresses me. So don't think you are not a uni kinda guy! Cuz steevo knows! lol

    HUGS

    steevo
    .

    ReplyDelete
  6. @David: I think I know what you are getting at. And I know how you feel. On the other hand, this is what I was discussing above. Your comment COULD (I can not be positive, of course) be taken to _imply_ that Rowan should come out sooner than later; the sooner the better. There is a subtle difference between support, encouragement, and a sort of subliminal pressure, i.e., "Best to come out soon!"

    I always try to listen and share other stories, tell my own, ask questions, etc. with boys in Rowan's shoes. Many times I will be asked, "Well what do YOU think I should do?" My reply is that it is up to each individual person. How can I know? Each boy/man almost always will know when he is ready. But if 10 years from now someone Rowan's age is sitting home alone every night, still hiding from everyone, then he would need a counselor or therapist to help him get on with life. This is after all the year 2010.

    Or if Rowan's parents were so-called Christian fundamentalists who frequently fulminated about gays being scum, well, then I say, "Dude, get outta there ASAP! That is toxic and it is tragic and not fair that mum and dad are wackos. But you deserve better!"

    I am not completely sure what you meant in your comment above, so I am just mentioning my own perspective. IMHO as they say.

    OK Time for coffee.

    @Rowan: I hope it's OK to direct my remarks to David the way I did. This is your blog, but it seemed the best way to make my point. Many blogs use "@someone" to facilitate the discussion.

    BTW and PS: Dad's comment about Freddy M is typical of the way many men his age are "programmed" to reinforce their non-gayness. For him gay is just a vague icky concept. It is not his son. Once he sees that gay includes you, his son, he is likely to get over it. One friend had a dad who was a real asshole when he came out. Dad went totally over the edge. My friend, who had been warned, simply sat there and listened passively. He did not a thing or try to argue. When dad finally shut the F up, my friend said, "Well, dad, too bad you feel this way. I am the same person I was 5 minutes ago. I feel sorry for you because you could lose a son who loves you a lot. When you calm down and have time to think this over, I hope you can change your mind. If you do, I'll be here ready to talk and answer any questions you might have." Then he got up looked his dad right in the eyes, kissed his mom and left. Mom talked to dad. Dad
    did "see the light" and today is the exact opposite, is a PFLAG speaker, marches most years with his son in the Pride parade.

    Cheers,

    steevo
    .

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, Steevo both your comments were really interesting there. Welcome to the blog btw, your comments (and anybodys!) are always welcome and yes, you can reply to other comments in the comments section here ^_^

    I read all of what you said a few times and you have a a lot of good stuff to say. My mum perhaps already knowing but letting me do it in my own time, your story about the friend and his dad.
    Most of it really (and saying i'm the right kind of person to go to Uni :P)

    I also know what you mean about it being programmed into my dad's head - Many people his age are quite similar but this "programming" as its called, is slowly disappearing from society. Generation by generation it will slowly (i hope!) ebb away so that it is no longer taboo. Young people are becoming more and more accepting, it might not be apparant at the moment, and sometimes i question it too, but i've found many a survey that shows how much more tolerant people are becoming.

    Personally, i see homosexuality being similar to how black people were treated maaaaaany years ago - very badly.
    But they overcame this and people became more accepting and now a black person can walk around the street freely, and rightly so.
    Many gay people can too, but they can hide it, you cant hide a skin colour of course.
    Off on a tangent, but yes, i think equality for the whole LGBT community becomes more recognised and accepted each day, at least i like to retain that optimism...


    Anyway, maybe my dad would react like your friend's dad did, but as i said, who knows. Thanks for your comment.

    Rowan <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. hi Rowan
    heavy post with really heavy comments way out of my league . but hears my view I do believe
    that there is a god just one not one for each faith that's juts bollocks but from a non religious point of view and its only my own point of view but hears mine .

    I believe god lod loves everyone no matter what race, colour,sexuality you may be .

    the way I see it we are all god`s children and
    he would treat us all as an equal .

    I read somewhere that in the bible god knows which one gospel according to god knows who that homosexuality its self is a sin this would have written like thousands of years ago
    would it not that tells me then even then even back then men were experimenting with there feelings ie fucking one another .

    Rowan in the end you choose when you decide to come out to anyone its your moment and you decide when .
    this comment dont look to bad coming from a guy who is A out of his depths on this subject
    and B made sense regardless of how much ive had to drink !!.

    ReplyDelete

Don't be afraid, drop a line or two :)